Thursday, December 11, 2008

Welcome to the Strawn for Chairman Blog



I know it is tradition in Iowa political circles to have one’s supporters create a seemingly organic and neutral blog that over time becomes all but a mouthpiece for a particular campaign. Well, that’s not my style as I have always been a “cards on the table” kind of guy.

That is the spirit in which I am waging my campaign for Chairman of the Republican Party of Iowa. In football terms, I’ve always believed that you play how you practice. The race for Chairman is no different. I will conduct my race for Chairman with the type of accountability, transparency and leadership that will define my service as Chairman.

While we all know the ultimate decision regarding our party’s next leader will be made by 17 members of our party’s leadership, this is not to say though that all Republicans do not have an interest in the outcome. After all, you are here reading this blog. You are a volunteer. You are an activist. You are a county chair. You are a donor. You are an elected official. You are someone who has chosen to make a difference in the future of the Republican Party of Iowa and deserve a voice in the process of selecting our next Chairman.

Letter of Principles. On Monday, December 8, I sent an introductory Letter of Principles to the State Central Committee and Iowa’s elected Republican leadership. This letter may be viewed here.

100-Day RPI Action Plan. In the business world, I know what it is like to meet a bottom line and to have a board of directors assess your performance. This is a good thing. It instills accountability. I also believe it is imperative for state central committee members and statewide Republican leaders to have a Chairman who sets identifiable goals for measuring progress and accountability. I have submitted to the State Central Committee and Iowa’s elected Republican leadership a detailed 100-Day RPI Action Plan on those programs or initiatives that would be completed or underway within my first 100 days as Chairman.

The 100-Day RPI Action Plan covers responsibilities as varied as communications, fundraising, education and training, list development, voter and candidate assistance programs, technology and administration. Given the strategic nature of this document, I will not be posting it online; however, I do encourage you to contact your respective State Central Committee member and ask to see a copy of the Strawn 100-Day RPI Action Plan.

Feedback. As I travel across the state talking to Republicans during the four-week sprint to January 10, I plan to use this blog frequently to share my plans for the future of the Iowa GOP. So, stay tuned for regular updates and in the meantime, send me an email at mns@mattstrawn.com or message me on Facebook and share with me your ideas for getting our great party back in the business of winning elections.

Now, let’s get to work.